Sunday, January 13, 2008

New Zealand Here I Am!

Well folks, it's finally happened--I'm here!!! I don't have much time but I just wanted to drop a quick note on here. We got here early Saturday morning and have so far been in Auckland, Whitianga, Hamilton and Waitomo. We're staying at a backpacking lodge in Waitomo right now. They're pretty random places where we just pitch our tents for a couple of nights before moving on to different towns. We spend a lot of time driving old clunky vans with trailers packed with our luggage across beautiful landscapes. I love it. :)

Yesterday, we went to the temple in Hamilton and we ran into some New Caledonians that only spoke French! I got to translate for the entire group. It was definitely one of the coolest things I've ever done. This morning we went blackwater rafting and then watched a sheep being sheared. Pretty great stuff. And of course I have pictures of all of those wonderful events but unfortunately, you're all going to have to wait a couple of weeks until I can get on my own laptop instead of some gracious person's macbook.

Next stop is Rotorua tomorrow morning and then on down the coast to the South. I'll get back to you when I get to Invercargill! So far the consensus--I love New Zealand!! Besides the studying, the trip is great. :) Talk to you soon.

1 comment:

Julie T said...

Ali- it's so much fun to hear about the very towns and places that we will be visiting first! Are you driving down the east or west coast to Invercargill? And have they asked my daughter to take the wheel yet? I'm more than a bit nervous about that one! If so, will you please sit up by her and remind her constantly: stay to the left, watch this, watch that?!
Was black water rafting everything you hoped it would be? (Should we spend the extra time and money on it?) I know you can't answer now, but when you get a chance...Allons-y!