Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Last Two Weeks Continued.

According to my blogging mentor, it is a sin to create a post as large as the last one I did. So, I thought I'd break it up a little in light of that new info.





PALMERSTON NORTH

This place is hardly worth mentioning. I think we were there for a total of eight hours. After the hike, we didn’t get to the campsite until about 11pm and then we left at about eight the next morning.

WELLINGTON

We drove to Wellington from Palmerston North and spent a couple of hours in the city exploring the museum and eating lunch before we loaded up on the ferry to cross over to the South Island. A ferry! How exciting. That was definitely a new experience for me. The ride was about three hours and I just read and played cards most of the way across.





We landed in Picton on the other side of Cook Strait. Picton was probably the most beautiful place we’ve been yet. As we drove to the campsite, I had my arm out the window the whole time trying to snap pictures of the beautiful harbor and landscape. The place we stayed at for two nights here, Smith’s Farm, was another winner of a place. They gave us fresh muffins as we pulled in. That was really a treat.



The view from the road to Picton. Gorgeous.

We finally got to go to church the next day in Blenheim. The branch was tiny and it was funny to hear them talk about the week a couple years ago when the BYU group had come through. It was like it was some epic event, the way those guys talked about it. We more than doubled their attendance. Afterward, the branch members fed us sea urchin in the parking lot. I made myself eat some--it was about the nastiest stuff I have ever tasted. Yuck. We spent the rest of the afternoon back at the campsite taking it easy and just hanging out.


KIAKOURA

We hiked some of the Queen Charlotte track the next morning before driving to our nest destination, Kiakoura. We had a beautiful drive this day. It was right along the east coast of the country and we drove past waves crashing against seal-covered rocks for hours. Just another day in New Zealand! The camp site we scored in Kiakoura was one of the most ghetto places I have ever seen. Lucky for us again, we were only there for one night. We picked up early the next morning to take off to Christchurch where…we had beds!!!

I've gotta go, but I'll pick up in Christchurch when I come back! Enjoy these pictures for now!

1 comment:

Stefanie Elyse said...

I think that is my new favorite title in life: "blogging mentor." What an honor :) Those muffins were a real treat. I don't think anything could have tasted better than those muffins right then!