Sunday, March 23, 2008

Day 3: Peanut Butter, Scroggin and Victory

Ramsey and Jacapo. Our fearless leaders.


Saturday, March 22

We woke up to a cool, clear morning. I slept like a baby in the hut. It was magnificent. We didn’t leave the hut until about 10. Every morning, we did something the Anasazi boys (Ramsey and Jacapo) called the “sacred circle”. We all stand in a circle, turn around, and say a prayer/have a moment with nature. Where we’re all done, we turn around and leave. I liked it.
Saturday was probably my favorite day. WE HAD A TRAIL!! Bushwhacking has its perks and adventures, but after a day and a half of blazing my own trails, I was more than ready for a trail. It was gorgeous! It led through this beautiful, green forest. Up and over logs, across rivers, under logs, through mud holes… It was great. Most of the day, I hung in the back of the pack with Lisa, Cameron, Tyler and Katie. It was nice. Usually, I hurry through hikes but I liked just being in the back, taking it all in, pushing each other along. We had fun--our little group. By the end of the day, we were talking about our favorite restaurants and desserts and we even had about 15 minutes of official complaining time. That was funny--and therapeutic.

One of the views that made the whole dang thing worth it.


Part of the trail that I loved oh so much.



I had an apple with peanut butter for breakfast that morning, since I’d downed my oatmeal the day before and we didn’t have lunch with us. So, I had a LOT of scroggin (aka--trail mix). And I mean-- a LOT. We didn’t get back to the van until about 5:30 where luckily, we had planned ahead and had peanut butter, jelly and bread waiting for us in the car.


It’s amazing to me after all the pain and difficulty associated with tramping that I can get home and say I had fun. Day two, was definitely my low light. I was so frustrated--with the lack of trail, with the wind, with the far away hut, with Cameron, with Ramsey and Jacapo for leading us there… Just angry. I finally made myself stop, look around, take some deep breaths and remind myself of what was really important. Every time over the trip when I felt that frustration or that “get-home-atis”, I would force myself to stop, or at least slow down and remind myself of where I was and what I was experiencing. I learned a lot from forcing myself to do that.


I also learned to love Egyptian Rat Screw! I hate that game. Or I did until Friday. We played for hours, until Jacapo told us to stop because the slapping was waking up people on the bottom bunk. And I actually started to like it.
Well, that about sums it up I think. I’m happy I went and I’m happy I’m home. The end. :)





You can thank Cameron for this lovely panoramic. I hope you can see it because--it's amazing!

No comments: