Sunday, February 24, 2008

Family 101

One of the things I really love about being here in New Zealand are the classes I get to take. I’m not just talking about all of my outdoor classes. I really love the two lecture classes I take; family life and family recreation. These are classes that I never would have taken in Provo. They don’t relate to my major but have everything to do with life. It’s sadly ironic to all of us that here we are, thousands of miles away from our families, and we are forced to reflect and talk about them every day in class. We all have stories about the great things our families do, and often it seems to form into a type of competition; who can share the story that proves they have the best family? I am always tempted to join in this fight but after awhile, I force myself to sit back and realize that for me, there is no competition. I know all of the stories, the trips and the traditions. Every time, my vote is unanimous. I have the greatest family ever. I wish there were words to describe how I feel about them. I know that I have always loved them but it would be a lie if I didn’t say that the distance between us has really made me realize just how much I love and rely on them. What would I be without each of them and the influence they have on me? I guess this is just a shout out to my family in an attempt to make up for all of the times I have forgotten and most likely will forget that. If you guys don’t already, this will teach you to keep tabs on my blog!! :)

Mom and Dad--You always have what’s best for me in mind. I know that behind all the decisions you make and questions you ask, your love for me is paramount. Thank you for raising us to know the gospel and love the Lord. Thank you for showing us how to truly love and appreciate your spouse. Thanks to Dad especially for always staying true to not yelling at his wife unless the house is on fire! Mom, it will never be possible for me to repay you for all you do for me. Thank you for making the sacrifice to stay home with us kids growing up. I believe it made all the difference.

Sara--You probably caught on to this but I always wanted to be like you, especially when you were in high school. Everything you had; every pair of shoes, every article of clothing, every CD, I wanted just because you had it. Thank you for always being such an outstanding example of a great way to live life. I will never forget your kindness for your often annoying little sister.
Jen--Soulmate! I truly feel that we have some kind of a special connection. It seems we are able to understand each other in our miseries, whether it be boys or headaches. J You are always the first person to offer me help and support, and always there at my door to pay me a surprise visit or bring a surprise gift. Those small gestures do not go unnoticed. Thank you for all you do!

Brian--Living so close to you last semester was a blast! I know I’ve always kind of tagged along with you and your friends, ever since high school, but it has meant the world to me. Growing up with your influence and companionship has taught me so much. I should learn a little bit more from your study habits… :) Thanks for being the best big brother a girl could ask for.
Hopefully I didn’t make everybody too jealous by writing about how fantastic my family is, but I just couldn’t hold it in! You guys mean the world to me and I just haven’t been able to get any of you off of my mind as of late. Thanks again and keep reading my blog! :)

8 comments:

Macsen said...

holy crap! I don't look at your blog for like one day and you post a million things! Not that that's a bad thing....

It's nice to finally get some more out of you!

Megan said...

you are so cute. Hey I think your family is pretty great too. :)

Sara Giles said...

Thanks for making me cry... not like that's hard to do! :) I love you too and can't wait to see you when you get back!! Although I may be a little biased, I have to agree too that we've got the best family!

Christine said...

You do have a fantastic family!! Can't deny that. :)

Dave Giles said...

I agree... your family is really awesome. Especially that new hunk your sister married. Since I notice you didn't post anything about him in your "family" comments, let me elaborate on what I knew you were thinking... "Dave, you are the coolest brother-in-law a little sis could ever dream for. I only hope that one day my future husband will be as tall, strong, handsome, and intellectually stimulating as you are. I'm so happy that I have the picture book you and Sara gave me for Christmas as it inspires me daily. I can't wait to see you this summer!!"

Now that's better...

Marcindra LaPriel said...

Sounds like you have a fantastic family.

And yeah, the miles apart from my family seem to be equal to the amount of times my love for them has multiplied

Julie T said...

Ali, what a beautiful tribute and thoughtful thing to do! What's best is the fact that you all seemed to have realized how blessed you were early on and had more time to enjoy all those good, warm feelings. Thanks for inspiring Stefanie-we sure enjoyed her post too! Your Chacos came on Friday-yea! So can I bring just the sandals and leave the box behind as long as I have all the paperwork? Hope you're doing OK without your old ones!

Ashley Shae said...

Ditto, being away from my family, and studying family behavior has really solitified that they are the greatest.