Monday, February 11, 2008

Livin' Life



Ok. I know I've already written a little bit about how school is going, but I've actually got some experience and some pictures under my belt now so I figured I'd update you all. First off, we started with kayaking. The first day, we just went to some really calm, practically unmoving water and just learned strokes and got comfortable on the water. Today, we went to a river that actually had a little bit of current and learned how to rail, or turn ourselves in the water using our bodies, how to get in and out of eddies, and of course, practiced more rescues. I have to say that I think I've found my biggest fear in life--being upside down in water, stuck in a kayak. Man, I hate it. The fact that someone will save me, and if they don't I can simply pull myself out doesn't seem to quell my fear. Hopefully I will get more used to it soon though.


We also went to a ropes course yesterday. That was fun although not really as much of a rush as kayaking. After a full day of being unstable 40 ft off the ground, I was ready to be done with heights! Mostly, it was just balay prepping and practice for when we actually go rock climbing.

I am pretty much pumped because on Monday, we are going surfing!!! That is going to be a great time. Hard, but fun. This Friday, we are going to Queenstown for the weekend. I can't wait! There's so much to do there.






No comments: